Re: Re: Tuba Toss at Finland and Results

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex C on August 25, 2001 at 11:49:42:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba Toss at Finland and Results posted by tommo on August 25, 2001 at 00:47:09:

tommo,

Since you Aussie's are apparently champions at tuba tossing, I'm wondering if you guys have done research on the aerodynamics of various models. I bet this is why your have surpassed the Americans, Europeans and Asians.

Is there some university source on the difference of the coefficient-of-drag on, say, a top action tuba vs. a front action tuba? My thought is that the top action tuba would produce much lower air drag, IF thrown bottom bow first. Either piston or rotary tubas would excessive create drag due to the valve section protruding out from the body of the instrument. Some more than others.

Of course, we must assume that weight is an equal here, since this discussion is only hypothetical, surely.

In a practical matter: have Aussie's found that some brands of tuba make excellent grills when properly set up? The website tubagrill.org (I think) advises that with a basket of coals placed on the ground and the tuba placed bell down over the coals, many tubas make excellent smokers, too!

They suggest that the larger meats should be positioned in the bell section and that sausages and links can be strung through the smaller branches. Their tuba design of choice for smoking is the big American tuba. Nirschl's make premier smokers.

Follow Ups: