Re: 2341 valveset vs sousaphone valveset

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 25, 2001 at 05:17:52:

In Reply to: 2341 valveset vs sousaphone valveset posted by Gus Pratt on August 23, 2001 at 06:06:39:

To fit the tubing necessary for a fourth valve into the small frame allowed for a sousa valve cluster is not easy. One could say, that the wrapping of my 40K is inspirered by a famous classical concert site: Tanglewood.

To alter, without factory blueprints and toolings, a plain 3 valve sousa into a 4 valve ditto, you will have to be in command of some quite exclusive skills of brass craftsmanship.

My way to the 40K started out with a research for relevant suppliers. All of which I then mailed.

I will not say, that this road has been without neither bumps nor some heavy sucking sounds coming out of my purse. But now it is there, the 40k. Definitely heavy. And definitely resonant. (And definitely cheaper, than a tuba of comparable qualities).

If the original lighter weight raincatcher, recently presented and told of on this board, has been more resonant than my 40K, then playing this original prototype must have been an experience somewhere between sitting in the middle of an earthquake and undergoing vibrational therapy.

Klaus

Follow Ups: