Blue Note Strap with Mirafone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brent Herhold on August 24, 2001 at 18:29:05:

I bought a Blue Note Tuba strap to replace the strap I got from Mirafone a zillion years ago. (The Mirafone strap is still fine, but it doesn't support the horn correctly so I have been forced to help support the horn with my left arm----craming my fingers between the tubing at the lower part of the horn. After 30 years of stand-up gigs, enough is enough!) I tried to use the enclosed directions which picture an upright-valved euphonium!!!! Gee thanks! After much ado, I wound up attaching the strap to the original ring at the bottom bow and the other end to the upper bow on my left side. I think this is the best way, but if anyone has a variation on the theme, that's better, please advise.

I played a four hour gig Saturday and have NEVER been more comfortable. In addition my left arm and hand were freed completely.

As an aside, the trumpet player in our trio was Bill Bachman who now lives in the Sacramento area, but for years worked in New Orleans, including a stint with Pete Fountain. Bill mentioned a tuba player, who's name I've forgotten, that played with the New Orlean's Symphony. IF you are that tuba player and read this thread, be advised that Bill had a lot of great things to say about your playing. I hope you get the message.

Brent Herhold

Follow Ups: