Re: Re: Who won Albany?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Manning on August 22, 2001 at 11:52:21:

In Reply to: Re: Who won Albany? posted by Adam Peck on August 21, 2001 at 16:25:19:

I am new to tubenet, so I was surprised at the responses to my last post. Thanks to everyone and for your kind words. Adam Peck asked "I'm sure many of us would like to hear about your background and and any tips you mght have to avoid audition jitters. "

I studied with Sam Pilafian at Boston University and was one of the founding members of the Atlantic Brass Quintet in 1985. I took a job with the Air Force Band of the Golden Gate in 1986 and really enjoyed living and playing in California. While in the Air Force, they paid for my lessons with Floyd Cooley - a definite perk! I returned to Boston and the Atlantic Brass in 1989, when we were with Columbia Artist Management and played about 75 recitals a year all over the U.S.

In 1992 we won Narbonne and got our first residency at Boston Conservatory. In 1995 we went to Japan, toured 7 countries in the middle east, and started our residency at Boston University. I now teach at the Univesity of Massachusetts, play principal in the Vermont Symphony; and now Albany. I' m very excited about the ASO, since they have a great brass section, and perform and record new and adventurous music every year.

I have also played with Klezmer Bands, Rock bands, Dixieland/New Orleans style brass bands - which taught me a lot about groove and time.

My advice is always keep the "top 10" excerpts in shape so that when an audition comes up you are ready. I got the Albany list just before leaving to teach the Atlantic Brass Quintet Seminar at SUNY Buffalo. When I came home I had about a week to prepare, but since I have been working on these excerpts for the past 18 years it was possible. I was invited to the BSO audition, and although I played well, I wasn't advanced.

I have had audition jitters before ( dry mouth, silly mistakes, the shakes ) but my advice is to learn from your own experience. Stay hydrated ( hard to do on Monday ), bite your tongue if you get drymouth, and DO NOT think or listen to your "competition". Go in, take a deep breath and let it go; hopefully you won't overthink the situation and your best will come out.

I hope this helps. Check out Doug Yeo's website. It has lots of good audition advice. Thanks, and good luck to everyone on this amazing year of auditions!

Follow Ups: