Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mouthpiece work

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on September 01, 2000 at 13:05:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mouthpiece work posted by Joe S. on August 30, 2000 at 20:28:26:

I agree some with your statements, and disagree some with it. A lot depends on what stage of playing you are at. Buzzing on the mouthpiece alone requires a person to use correct air support. I've had teachers use playing on the mouthpiece alone as a method of getting students to use proper breathing when playing. It is difficult to get a buzz on the mouthpiece without using correct air support. The reason why, when a young student buzzes on the mouthpiece and then puts the mouthpiece back in the horn, he plays with a better sound is because of the increase in air support. If you don't have this difference in resistance between playing with the mouthpiece off the horn, you don't gain the increased air effect. I liken it to when a major league hitter practices swinging the bat with the donut on the bat for increased weight, and then removes it when its time to hit. He's doing something that requires more work, so that when he does it for real its easier.

Follow Ups: