Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opening in US Army Band, Pershing's Own

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on August 16, 2000 at 02:05:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opening in US Army Band, Pershing's Own posted by Pete on August 16, 2000 at 00:08:40:

Pete,
Thanks for your note. Joe Burton is a great tuba player and an old friend. I really should have included him on my list. He never played a bad note. While I never had a chance to serve with him, he, Ray Becker(an absolutley fabulous tuba player who took over at the school when I left), and I anchored the old Tidewater Winds Concert Band in the summers of 1986-1989(ever hear that band?). They were some blows, but we always had fun. Dave Dorrough remains my closest friend to this day. He was best man in my wedding and lined me up with a one year postion with the VSO when he and his wife went to Alabama in 1988. Unfortunately for the tuba world, Dave gave up playing about 8 years ago and now drives a big rig. He is quite happy, but when he stops in town, he will pick up my horn and in 5 minutes he sounds great.
I played with the VSO and Opera 1988-89. The position came open when I was transfered to the Ground Forces Band in 1989. Pete DeBeau, a GREAT tuba player, teacher, and friend has been in the orchestra since 1989. It is a strange situation that he doesn't get more students at ODU, he is a great teacher and role model. Mark Stauffer has one of the greatest tuba sounds I have ever had the pleasure of sitting next to. We played together for 2 years at Monroe before I got out. I am sure I am leaving out other great players, but these guys stick in my mind, especially Stauffer who played that great old King his dad rescued from a garbage dump when he was Commander of the Navy band.
It is great to hear from ex-military tuba players. On of my heroes, Tim Loehr pops up occassionaly on this board. I first heard his playing when the field band came through Colorado Springs when I was playing in the orchestra there. Along with Jeff Arwood and Marty Erickson, he set a great standard for ALL tuba players in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. I remember hearing Dave Zerkel perform the Telemann C Minor Fantasy on an Alex at an early Army Tuba-Euph Conference(1987). He was a drop dead incredible player. And we can't forget Keith Mehlan, a wonderful soul and solid tuba player who died a few years ago. He always had a good word and smile for everyone.
Man there have been some greats in the ranks. Makes all the PT and weigh-ins seem worth to have worked with some of them. Thanks the thoughts. Have Peace.

Chuck

Follow Ups: