Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opening in US Army Band, Pershing's Own

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pete on August 16, 2000 at 00:10:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opening in US Army Band, Pershing's Own posted by Chuck Jackson; SEAN, FOR CLARITYS SAKE on August 15, 2000 at 22:54:50:

Chuck,

I just thought I would post under here. I am only 24 years of age and just last Nov. got out of the Army Band after my 4 years was up. I spent my whole tour in Japan after my time at the school. At the school I was very fortunate enough to meet Lee Stofer and spend alot of those 6 months up on the 3rd floor(deck in the Navy) in the repair shop with him. I learned so much from him during that time. He is a monster player and I am convinced that there are not to many who get a better sound out of an old Conn 25J than he does. I was also fortunate enough to meet Mark Stauffer at Monroe before I left, he had just got there form Japan where I was going. After I arrived in Japan, a year later Joe Burton(whom I think you know as well) showed up who was a whole nother inspiration to me. Joe was a great musician and a pleasure to play with. We spent 2 years in the back row together and it was much fun. I fell in love with his little/big 4/4 York. Joe very often spoke of Dave Dorrough from the school and the tuba player for the Virginia Symphony mainly because I am from Va beach and Dave was a simply amazing tuba player from what Joe said. One story that pops to mind was how Dave sounded so great on a 4v Rudy 5/4 CC and then had his mother take out a mortgage on her house to buy a Yorkbrunner. I had never got to hear Dave before Pete Dubeau(sp) won the gig. I do have to say that my time spent in the Army Band had its moments and then it had its moments(if you know what I mean). I gained alot of experience because of some of the great musicians I was surrounded by.
I am still in Japan freelancing and teaching English to Japanese kids at a junior high school.

Follow Ups: