Re: Re: Jumbo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by In defense of H'sHHs on August 13, 2000 at 10:47:36:

In Reply to: Re: Jumbo posted by E-Bay fan (and cautious bidder) on August 12, 2000 at 22:04:33:

And notice he doesn't claim to be a "Master Technician"? I have dealt with Harv, and find him to be a sweet old man who shares my love and zeal for fixing up and playing these old horns which, in someone elses hands may have ended up as a "musical instrument lamp". Sure, in more careful or qualified hands (Oberloh, etc.) they may have been completely overhauled and properly refurbished, but then the horn would cost more than a new Caddilac (and a waiting list longer than Harley-Davidson) and belong in a museum. I just got my 1928 Conn 47K Eb (gold wash bell, MOP valve bottom caps) back and am very pleased with the service and the price. My local guy (no pro either) would have charged quite a bit more to pull the slides (and he would have dissasembled them, Harv let it soak for a few weeks before resorting to that) and remove the dents, and I am much happier with Harv's work than my local guy. (Better than I expected, in fact.) It doesn't look like the day it came off the line, but I didn't want it to. Now I've got a great old horn that I can play, and I'm not afraid to take it out and play it.
Sorry for rambling, but I just couldn't stand to see old Harv bashed like that. He doesn't claim to be that which he is not, and we all know you get what you pay for.
MF

Follow Ups: