Re: Re: Re: Re: Performance vs. Education

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JHR on August 26, 1999 at 16:44:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Performance vs. Education posted by Daryl on August 26, 1999 at 00:05:13:

First, I want to say this a marvelous thread. Many thanks to the young man who started us off with his intriguing post.

A question for those who advise against a performance degree in favor of a music ed degree: Would a music ed major at say Indiana University (or any of the schools with a "name" tuba prof) be eligible for lessons with Dan Perantoni, or be eligible to be a member of his studio? Have I wrongly assumed that to be a student of the tuba prof (at the big name schools), one must be a performance major? Also, would there be any limitation for music ed majors in terms of performance opportunities at college?

I wonder, would Patrick Sheridan have had access to Arnold Jacobs at Northwestern if he had not been a perf major? Maybe he would have by dint of his tremendous talent, and/or maybe life was less complicated back then, but I don't get the impression that Pilafian, Perantoni, et al, have gobs of extra time to give lessons to tuba students not in their studio.

Colleges like Oberlin push 5 year "double degree" programs for music students who also have an additional academic interest. I think that these programs, for those who can afford them, may be the best possible option for maximizing post college employability.

Follow Ups: