Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba for my son...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve on August 24, 1999 at 18:50:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Tuba for my son... posted by Jay Bertolet on August 22, 1999 at 07:05:36:

Let me clarify what I meant about "falling in line"...

To be competitive in today's audition environment it seems, one needs to have a large horn. And because I don't have the luxury of owning a stable of "specialty" instruments I need to streamline. Believe me, I would much rather play a Mirafone than 80% of the big 6/4 horns out there, but I believe you have a strike against you if you go onstage with a "smallish" horn. "Fall in line", "give 'em what they want to hear", same thing... And based upon the talent pool I was a member of at my last audition, I don't need a strike against me before I even play a note!

Gene Pokorny, several years ago was interviewed by "The Instrumentalist" magazine where he said he much preferred the sound of his Mirafone than that of his Yorkbrunner. He praised the sound of a Mirafone as versatile and mentioned he was able to achieve a plethora of colors. He described the sound of his Yorkbrunner as unsavory unless surrounded by a full orchestra. I think that speaks volumes.

I believe a Mirafone is a wonderful choice for an all-around instrument. Of course, that's just my opinion and, also, apparently, the opinion of an overwhelming number of others on the list located in this site's "Tips" submenu (25 Mirafones vs. 3 VMIs all 6/4; didn't see one 103, and yes, I have played a couple).

Just my opinion. I would just feel uncomfortable steering a questioning father away from a horn with such a great reputation and professional usage and towards a comparatively "unknown" name with little professional clout to back it up.

Follow Ups: