Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba for my son...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve on August 25, 1999 at 07:27:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba for my son... posted by Jay Bertolet on August 24, 1999 at 20:50:01:

Points well taken, Jay. My statistics are indeed misleading. However, if I was going to recommend a horn to this student now while he is in 8th grade under the assumption he would turn pro with it, I might indeed recommend a larger VMI, or 2165, or 5/4 Rudy, or some kind of PT thingamajig. But the majority of this young student's playing will indeed be solo/small ensemble, at least for the next 5 or 6 years, in which time the monetary "shock" of the first tuba purchase will have worn off and he will be better prepared to purchase a horn that will complement his previous purchase.

I guess we just disagree on the "shortcomings" aspect. Finding a great Mirafone is a tricky endeavor, but with so many Mirafones in use today, it can be done. I think they're wonderful instruments and I guess I really don't need any "stats" to justify my opinion. (Opinions are always justified in the eyes of the opinion-giver!) We just disagree...

Thanks for the discussion!

(p.s. I hope your observations of conducter preference becomes a little more widely accepted!!)

Follow Ups: