Re: Re: Re: old Mirafone 188 vs current 186...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on August 22, 1999 at 21:57:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: old Mirafone 188 vs current 186... posted by Jay Bertolet on August 22, 1999 at 20:58:42:

Here's how I was looking at it...what if any difference is there between the old 188's and the current 186. I personally don't give a damn about cost if I am getting a good horn,
I've spent a LOT of $$$ in the last year to purchase two really great used instruments,
a rusk-cut bohm&meinl and a 6/4 Holton, both over 20 years old and yet still worth way more than I paid for them. Granted, I would have been pleased as punch if Alex had offered
me the Holton for 50 bucks, but then I'd have probably woken up from THAT dream
before I got my hands on the tuba!

The situation is this, I know a couple of students who want personal instruments,
but why would they wanna whizz off 5K plus for a used 188 if a current 186
is the same-design instrument AND they can purchase new (for the same price) from a dealer who can give them terms that a collitch student can handle? Oh by-the-way, I'd still like some input from someone with hands-on experience with the Mirafones, my "belief" (like Joe's) is that the old 188's are bigger horns (from the tuning slide out) than the current 186's, BUT since I have never owned a 188, I'd like to hear from someone who has AND is familiar with the current crop of Mirafone 186's.

Follow Ups: