Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suggested guidelines

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by 'fess'r on April 30, 2003 at 23:41:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suggested guidelines posted by Rick Denney on April 30, 2003 at 22:33:52:

At least when you explore those topics, you try to form experiments and create data that might demonstrate an outcome - and throw up cool charts.

:^)

The ones that get me are the hear-the-grass-grow folks who simply "state" that a post-microscopic coating of silver over brass will absolutely make instruments sound thus-and-so whereas a very thin film of sprayed-on lacquer will absolutely make an instrument sound thus-and-so...

...or similar "absolute" comments about non-removed material from negligibly-vibrating parts of instruments, etc.

I remember, perhaps a decade ago, someone (who has been discussed on this bbs quite a bit recently) telling me that the first thing to do with a brand new tuba was to pour MILK down through the valves...(or was it to reverse the rotation of the #1 and #2 rotors first??? (I forget.) Anyway, today that person doesn't use a rotary tuba anymore. I don't know about the milk, though.

Why did Jean-Pierre Rampal sound so good on (basically) a very well-made marchin' band-style flute?...yet when one visits the flute chat place on the web, many "backstage primadonnae" will insist that solid platinum flutes with six extra gadgets are the only ones to consider if one is to succeed in the world of flute playing.

Follow Ups: