Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fort Worth

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on April 24, 2003 at 07:39:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fort Worth posted by dp on April 23, 2003 at 16:12:17:

Despite being very active with my local union, I agree with you 100%. Know what else? So does my union, and that is the way things have been done in this area for years. In my opinion(which others are welcome to disagree with), I think that it is beneficial for the union to protect the integrity of their local's music scene. This includes keeping it relatively local. Our orchestra is filled with musicians who've been playing together for years... some as far back as high school. Some are playing with their former students or former band/orchestra/choir directors.. everyone knows each other's name, and gets together on holidays. The level of comeraderie in areas like this unsurpassed, and the caliber of music put out by these kinds of groups, imo, is also unsurpassed- not even by the most noteworthy major orchestras.

Yes, people do come from other parts of the country/world to play here.. and they're welcomed. One thing I've not seen our orchestra used for, though, is a stepping stone- this is what the union is protecting against, and this is why our orchestra is so successful(sold out concerts in a city of less than 150,000, no huge deficit, big-name soloists, adequate musicians pay[with no recent pay cuts], great concert programs, etc). Is it "the way it is" everywhere else? No, probably not. Is it fair? I guess that depends on how you look at it.

fwiw

Anthony

Follow Ups: