Re: bass bone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Solms on April 03, 2003 at 09:19:19:

In Reply to: bass bone posted by Mary Ann on April 02, 2003 at 09:47:10:

I'll weigh in here with what will probably be a minority opinion. Consider a used, good quality, single-rotor horn. Before anyone pounces on the "Post Followup" button, let me explain what I feel are the pros and cons.

The pros are ergonomics, cost and simplicity. Double-rotor bass 'bones are heavy and awkwardly balanced. The need to keep the second finger of your left hand available to work the second trigger puts even more strain on the rest of your left hand. Full-time bass trombonists adapt to this, but if you only pick up the horn occasionally, I think it's really an issue. Thayer valves are considerably heavier than conventional rotors. They also stick out farther from the main tubing. Depending on how the horn is designed and how you hold it, they can also create concentrated pressure points on your shoulder. None of this may be an issue for you, but I strongly suggest playing any horn you are thinking of purchasing for at least half an hour straight to find out what hurts and what doesn't. You have made mention of your size in some previous posts. If you have trouble reaching the end of the slide, all bets are off and you will need the second rotor. As always, tyring before buying to get the full picture is really important.

The cost part is fairly obvious- used is cheaper than new, fewer parts are cheaper than many.

The simplicity issue is based on how many sets of slide positions you want to learn. Any time you add tubing (via a valve or valves) the slide positions get farther apart. On a single-rotor horn you have two- the open horn and with the F-attachment. On an independent double-rotor horn you have four- open, one for each valve separately, and both valves together. Again, full-time bass trombonists spend enough time on the horn that this ceases to be an issue. If you are an occasional player at the one rehearsal before a gig, too many options can slow you down more than they help.

I think the decision has a lot to do with what kind of music you want to play. If you are going to sit fourth chair in a big band, a double-rotor horn is probably essential. Modern charts require that the bass 'bone play with a lot of facility in the valve register. If you are going to play in a community band or orchestra, or use the 'bass bone as a "color change" instrument in a brass quintet you can certainly get along with a single-rotor horn. (Note to replying posters: I will gladly accept your reasons on why it might be done better on a double-rotor horn. Just please don't tell me it can't be done- I've done it for years.) Doug Yeo has a very interseting article on single vs. double rotor horns on his web site, www.yeodoug.com.

Double-rotor advocates will talk about the dreaded low C and B natural. I can easily lip down to a low C with just the F valve. I see a low B natural about once every other year. The older single-rotor horns, like my Bach 50-B and the Conn 72-H's have F rotor slides that pull out to give you an E in first position with the valve in use. I can play a good B natural at the end of the slide this way.

I don't claim to have all the answers. I just wanted to put forward the view that a single-rotor horn can have advantages for the part-time player.

Follow Ups: