Re: 20th century symphonies/excerpts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on April 23, 2002 at 23:05:13:

In Reply to: 20th century symphonies/excerpts posted by Tim H. on April 23, 2002 at 08:51:15:

I just finished a run of concerts that included Revueltas' Sensemaya. That piece is really fun to play if you can play it! Most players focus on the solo at the beginning but the last statement of the theme, with the trombones, is even more rhythmically complex than the beginning. Anything I've seen by Revueltas has a great tuba part.

Another composer I always look for is John Corigliano. His 1st (I think) Symphony, the one dedicated to AIDS victims, is an unbelieveable piece. It has two tuba parts, both have solos, and there is some pretty hard stuff in there. The scope of the piece is truly breathtaking.

I really like the work of John Adams. We've done Short Ride and Tromba Lontana here and they are both really great pieces. I'm waiting for the chance to do The Chairman Dances from his opera, Nixon in China. That part really jumps around a lot.

An almost unknown composer that I like is Carlisle Floyd. He's written a couple of operas we've done here, one a version of Of Mice and Men. He really knows how to write for the tuba and his stuff is VERY interesting.

Anything by Hindemith.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: