Re: Seeking the right Helleberg

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 22, 2002 at 14:59:31:

In Reply to: Seeking the right Helleberg posted by Mark on April 21, 2002 at 18:03:30:

Sounds like you want a Doug Elliott 128-2N R6.

The 128 rim is a bit smaller than the Conn (which is the 130). The 2N shape is less narrow and sharp as the Conn, but only a little (the narrow, sharp shape of the Conn is the 4N). The R cup is the same as a Conn Helleberg, and the R-6 backbore is more open than a Conn.

When I was searching for a mouthpiece that solved some problems on my York Masters, I went to visit Doug, and we started with a Conn Helleberg as a baseline. He suggested a rim that is a little larger (to fit my face), and I ended up with a 132-2N. He then tried a T cup, which is bigger than the Connish R cup, to make the sound a little richer, especially in the lower register, where I need all the help I can get. We tried it first with a T-4 backbore, and it sounded a lot like a Conn with good intonation. We then started enlarging the backbore. The T-7 messed up the intonation, and so the T-6 was the largest backbore that controlled the intonation.

If you want a hellebergish mouthpiece, and have an idea what rim you'd like, then Doug Elliott seems to be the way to go.

Rick "who likes the mix-and-match component approach" Denney

Follow Ups: