Re: NABBA Comments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John on April 14, 2002 at 21:52:11:

In Reply to: NABBA Comments posted by Anyone on April 14, 2002 at 19:09:50:

I did go the the final concert given by The Brass Band of Battle Creek. Wow!!! I felt their programming was a bit unconventional for a brass band concert but the playing was truly amazing. The featured soloists were great (Tim Morrison on flugelhorn, Steven Mead on euphonium, and Alain Trudel on trombone) One aspect of the group that I was not prepared for was Wycliffe Gordon playing in the trombone section and soloing on a few jazz numbers. Wycliffe swings when he walks, when he breathes, when he smiles. His improv is unreal. What a great performer.

The entire band was tremendous. Every section was tested musically and technically. It was a true "dream team" in every section. The tubas were fantastic. They were rock solid on the bottom as far as time and pitch. The four of them played as one throughout the concert. They were: Marty Erickson and Dan Neesley on Eb tubas and Phil Sinder and Sam Pilafian on BBb tubas. The whole band had an excitement in everything they did. If you ever have the opportunity to hear this group, I would recommend going. Also, they are starting something called Camp Avalon this summer. You can find more info at http://www.campavalon.com/index.html

John Rider

Follow Ups: