Re: Re: Conn56J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Will Traphagan on April 13, 2002 at 19:17:23:

In Reply to: Re: Conn56J posted by Todd Morgan on April 13, 2002 at 10:02:15:

Ok Todd, I can take a hint! I traded a very good B&S PT3 for my 56J, and am very happy with the results. My 56J has a live sound with plenty of core, even response across the horn, and less intonation issues than most horns I have owned. (They ALL have some problems!) The "e'" on my horn plays in tune open, and neither middle nor high "g" have any significant problem. The only note that requires some serious slide pulling is the "f" just below the staff ? it's pretty sharp, but most of the time I just play it with the 5th valve, thus avoiding the issue entirely.
I must also mention that i installed and use a set of 4 "Monsterweight" bottom valve caps that Mark Finley made for me. They really add to my horn's projection and "ring", and I would highly recommend that anyone interested in increasing the "presence" and response of their horn get in touch with Mark.
As far as versatility, I am comfortable with the horn in a quintet, or a chamber ensemble (I'm currently playing the contrabassoon/tuba part to the Strauss Serenade in Eb, a "tour-de-force" in eggshell walking if ever there was one) to full orchestra works like Firebird or the Tschaikovsky 4th ? plenty of sound and projection from the 56J!
In short, I think it is a great horn and I would highly recommend trying one when the opportunity arises!

Follow Ups: