Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Old Obscure Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on April 12, 2002 at 11:28:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Old Obscure Tuba posted by Frederick J. Young on April 12, 2002 at 08:19:29:

The concept, that you suggest, has been used on smaller brasses up till around a century ago. Combining cornet and flugel horn, flugel and alto horns, baritone and valve trombone. I think to remember that one of the model names was "Lyricon" after the lyre shaped profile formed by the two bells.

I guess, that your suggestion would work. Especially if the switch valve had very smooth and un-obtrusive airpaths.

It would maybe be hard to mount that valve close enough to the mouthpiece to get a real difference between the two leadpipes. A problem, that makers of triple French horns also have had to address. With very different solutions from Finke, Alexander, and Paxman.

However, there would be one drawback, that at least I would have to consider: the weight and the bulkiness would not be for my back and my stairs.

As for the muting question: a small anecdote.

One day a young and ambitious tubist entered a reputed brass and wind instruments shop in Copenhagen.

In a quite fierce tone he tried to order a tuba with the bottom bow resting on the floor when he was seated. The bell should end no higher, than it would allow him to reach out for the mute and place it in the bell, while he still kept playing the tuba.

My reports say, that this young man ended up being kicked out of the shop.

Klaus

Follow Ups: