Re: Re: Re: HS band woes - argh

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by to DD on April 10, 2002 at 23:20:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: HS band woes - argh posted by Director Dictators on April 10, 2002 at 16:12:44:

I read your earlier post below, and I really do sympathize with your plight. I don't like band directors that are that controlling with their students. it really does go against the better good, doesnt it. We could get into it(I agree with you), but I will try to give insight as to the reasons in catering to band students in good standing with their base school program. There are roughly 16 high schools in this area, and my brass band has students from only six of them. That means there are ten schools in the area that do not send any students. Seems most of the BD's around here are into their own world of band, and could care less about what extra curriculars are available to their students. not even for a great youth band. That means that the few that do support us have to be appeased in a way. Appease is not really the right word, its justy kinda that we want them to know we are friendly with them and want the best for their students as they do. if they think that my band is a safe haven for disgruntled former students, then they would find it hard to send us current ones. I cant say that I like it, but doing this serves the better good. I feel that I do more good for the ones I do work with than for the ones that cant seem to get along with their band directors. They get left out, maybe unnescessarily, but thats a sacrifice sometimes.
It is unfortunate that there are BD's out there that are like your childrens..and that works against the grain, but we have to remember that we are incontrol of what we want to be in control of. if it were that unbearable and important, you would have taken your kids out of the program already. its easier to play along and move on. not fair, just easier. I am an expert at this. good luck

Follow Ups: