Re: Re: HS band woes - argh

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Director Dictators on April 10, 2002 at 16:12:44:

In Reply to: Re: HS band woes - argh posted by My thoughts on April 10, 2002 at 13:06:43:

"I would have trouble putting you in my band if you were not in your HS program. "

Here is the rub! The natural thing to do if one's director is a complete ass, is to quit and play in more sophisticated ensembles or conservatory prep progams. BUT, the director has a club, the ability to prevent those who escape his clutches from playing elsewhere! More that one unscrupulous nasty director has threatened to have, or has actually had, kids pulled fromt these programs when they can't tolerate the director anymore and quit his band.

You say it's not worth it to be mad at high school director and, given his power, you may be right. However, one's self-respect is worth a great deal, and an abusive, humiliating director should not be allowed to force students to abase themselves and put up with his abuse to further their musical educations. If I sound angry, I am. You'll not from my posts that my kids have an abusive director who threatens and plays games with outside ensembles, humiliates students and is sarcstic and belittling. A piece of work who plays favorites, but is a talented conductor.

Follow Ups: