Re: Tubas on auction site?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by wil on April 10, 2002 at 18:09:54:

In Reply to: Tubas on auction site? posted by Rick Bastedo on April 10, 2002 at 15:52:31:

Your history sounds way too familiar. More than you could imagine. I even worked at a large dot com for 2 years, but bailed just in time (about 18 months ago). Your are right about the benefits of playing again. I was even worried that I just couldn't even play any more. That in mind I went searching for an affordable way to get myself back in shape. Last year I found a Yamaha YBB 103 on e**y and went for it. It was a realistic step for me after a 20 year hiatus. I got it for less than 1k and it was just an awesome little horn. I played the heck out of it for about 4 months, and knew that I needed something a bit closer to the Meinl CC that I had back in college.
With a family to support I had the same issues that you must be facing. I just couldn't justify shelling out 5k to 10k for a horn. I did find a Cerveny (used) 5 valve CC for $2500. It was just the ticket. And I was able to sell the Yamaha for what I had in it very quickly (about 4 days).
There seem to be more horns (Miraphone, Cerveny, Meinl, etc.)out there in that range ($2500 and up). I am way more than satisfied with my Cerveny, it plays great, and the intonation is excellent.
You may want to go that route too. I did see another 103 up for auction. It worked great for me.

Follow Ups: