Re: Re: Re: Re: BBb vs. CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ed on April 10, 2002 at 06:56:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: BBb vs. CC posted by David on April 09, 2002 at 02:29:15:

Kyle,
The guy who told you to get the horn that you sound best on regardless of key has the right idea.Arnold Jacobs himself conveyed that exact sentiment to me years ago.The problem is the self appointed experts most of who have limited proffessional experience who either now teach and force all their students to play C and sell them the horns or are doing what their teachers told them to do.I have been a full time pro since1970 playing in the West Point band,lots of orchestras,most of the jazz bands in New Orleans,and the faculty quintet at the college that I taught at.Although I played many C horns at first I found that I liked the sound and feel of BFlat King tubas,and have used these with few exceptions and rarely get vibed about it because I can make my statement with it.It is definitely easier to play C,they are a shorter tube and blow more freely,they have a brighter pretty sound,and the tuba club will welcome you with open arms.Listen to alot of recordings,old ones ,before the techs started making everyone sound the same,old Chicago/Reiner records for example.Decide how you want to sound and find a horn that makes it easy to get that sound.Good Luck.

Follow Ups: