Re: Re: Re: BBb vs. CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on April 09, 2002 at 02:29:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: BBb vs. CC posted by Dan on April 08, 2002 at 22:40:02:

Having played for many years, 34, on "only" a 4 valve instrument, you can play anything you want on it. Two years ago, I purchased a 5 valve CC and a 5 valve F. The low register became less cumbersome once I really learned the fingerings. (It's a little harder to teach an old dog a new trick.)

You will only make the switch successfully if you purchase a new horn and practice, practice, practice. If your goal is to be in a professional orchestra or teach at a university, then a CC is probably the way to go (no offense meant to those of you who play BBb's). The CC tuba is no easier to play in the high or low register, but by being 2 sharps closer to the strings, I found it easier to play in sharp keys. If the goal is to be an all around freelancer, then a good 4/4 size instrument is useful - band, orchestra, brass ensembles, and so on.

If you are truly in the market for a good horn, ask your teacher to play the instruments as well. Going to a store which has lots and lots of tubas to try is like putting a little kid in a candy store. With so many choices, where does one start?, particularly if you are not overly experienced.

Get your teacher to assist you in narrowing your choices. He/she should be more than willing to do this. Opinions on this BBS will run the gamut from small horns to large horns and everything in between. A teacher can help you separate what looks good to what sounds good.

just an opinion

Follow Ups: