Re: Re: HS band woes - argh

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Director Dictator on April 10, 2002 at 06:48:16:

In Reply to: Re: HS band woes - argh posted by Brian on April 09, 2002 at 23:24:00:

I assure you that the incidents I mentioned are true. I know each story first hand (or second hand if you count my wife, on the board of the youth symphony, as second hand) from the people involved. One of my kids is a flute player who also participates in a major NYC conservatory preparatory program - she's not one who quit because we won't let her, but she'd quit in a heartbeat if she could. This director has been very abusive to her and very unfair. He seats her below players who do not even study privately. Her private teacher, a well-known and respected NYC area professional who knows all of the players, is literally aghast. It's her prep program and fabulous private teacher who keep her going, not her jerk director. I must say, though, her high school experience has assured that she will not become a professional or a music educator. Given a talent that would make her at best a "journeyman" professional who could make a living playing, but not ever be principal in a major orchestra, that's not necessarily a bad decision if she continues to play. Our other daughter, a freshman trumpet player whom several highly respected professionals have told us could have a professional career at the very highest level, I'm more worried about his turning off. We're taking it day by day.

Follow Ups: