Re: low register articulation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff on April 07, 2002 at 15:46:12:

In Reply to: low register articulation posted by steve on April 06, 2002 at 16:56:52:

Hi,

I would suggest playing a very simple study on a major or chromatic scale where you play (in one breath if possible) 2 half notes, 4 quarter notes, 8 eighth notes, 16 16th notes (single tongued) and then 16 16th notes (double tongues).

Set your metronome to something pretty slow, like 75 or 80 beats/minute. The main thing is that you can double tounge the 16ths very easily and relaxedly at this tempo. Try to make the sound of the single and double toungues as identical as possible.

Play the above, and then up the metronome by one or two clicks max and do it again. Repeat until you begin to hear a drop in the quality of the articulation, or until you start to tense up.

The next day, start 5 clicks below where you left off, and do it again. Always stop and back up when you get tense, or quality suffers.

It only takes 5 or 10 minutes a day, and after about a month you should notice a substantial improvement in your articulation quality and speed.

I'm writing an exercise book and have several written out studies along these lines. if you are interested, email me and I'll see if I can find some way of sending you the files via email.

Jeff

Follow Ups: