Re: low register articulation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on April 07, 2002 at 10:13:25:

In Reply to: low register articulation posted by steve on April 06, 2002 at 16:56:52:

If your air is doing its job, then the tongue has to work a lot less at articulation.

I would suggest starting on low C, and playing a C major scale down to pedal C as loud as you can. Then B major, and so forth as low as you can. Play it slowly, so you can get a good, loud, full low register note on each scale degree. Use the TOE vowel. You should take a completely full breath between each note, and use the majority of your air on each note.

Now do the same thing, but play accented quarter note - quarter rest - accented quarter note - rest, etc. Work on getting the note to speak immediately, at full volume, correct pitch, and with a good sound.

There's not an overnight fix, but working the low register from the standpoint of air will, over time, fix not only your low register, but improve your playing in general. If you don't have Gene Pokorny's Orchestral Excerpts CD, get it. I don't think you will find a better model for a low register sound concept.

I have some Finale files of exercises that I try to do in their entirety at least three times a week, and I do parts of daily. If you'll e-mail me, I'll be glad to e-mail them to you. I you don't have Finale, send me your snail mail and I'll send them to you. Specify BBb or CC.

The best book for multiple tongueing that I have used is Arban. Approach it slowly, and work at it. Don't be afraid to shift an octave down here and there. Remember: the majority of us can't do what Sheridan does. Some can, but most can't. I know that I'm not wired to play the Carnival of Venice at the tempo it needs to go. I'm OK with that; I do my showing off with a good sound and good balance and good intonation. As long as I can play what I NEED to play, and I've only run across a few things so far that I can't, I'm in good shape. But I do still work the Carnival as an exercise. Who knows? In 15 or 20 years, I might have it. I just don't feel that I NEED it.

SD

Follow Ups: