Re: Re: Preparing to play in an orchestra

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by another guy on April 05, 2002 at 00:41:15:

In Reply to: Re: Preparing to play in an orchestra posted by just some guy on April 04, 2002 at 20:16:52:

Don't ever give up on trying for a job if that's what you want to do. I never made all-state in high school, I'm not a child prodigy... I even almost flunked out of college once. I'm still in college, barely a sophomore, and I make about $3,500 a year performing, and just as much teaching, when it's convenient for me.. not a lot, but I'm making the same as I would be making flipping burgers part time to pay my rent and tuition. You don't have to be a child prodigy to be successful... hell, 2 years ago I'd never picked up a trombone, and now I have a house gig that'll enable me to buy a new car.

Another thing, though(and my main point), don't look at teaching as something to "fall back on". There's nothing that disgusts me more than bad teachers... everyone's had them... failed actors-turned-drama teachers, failed scientists-turned-chemistry teachers, and the worst of all, failed musicians-turned band directors. If you're gonna do something, do it because you love it, and do it 100%. Being a teacher is playing humanity's most important role.. If you're just 'falling back' on it because you weren't good enough to achieve your dream, then you don't deserve to be called a 'teacher'.

$.02 from a tubist in the upper midwest.

Follow Ups: