Re: Work vs. Talent

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lucky cat on April 26, 2001 at 08:32:21:

In Reply to: Work vs. Talent posted by Discouraged on April 25, 2001 at 22:13:00:

Hi there...
I am one of the "lucky" people who are still in this boat of playing "catch-up". Let me offer you this first.. there is time! I understand about not having enough hours in the day, but the key is utilizing what you've got. Yesterday I spent six hours on written homework. I played for one hour out of my usual 4 1/2 to 5. After sleeping too late this morning, I just came to this realization, time must be used wisely. You may find you have no time for a "life", as in my case, but if this means enough to you it is worth the sacrifice. As an undergrad, now is the time! The sooner you spend the time, the better... it will catch up to you threefold if you continue on to graduate school and are behind.
One rule I like to follow about progress: trust your teacher. If he is suggesting you work at something for improvement, DO IT, no matter how bad or ugly you think you sound. This is the best lesson I have just learned. It will make a difference. I believe that if you sound bad when you practice, you are doing something RIGHT! As far as the other stuff, work at your ear... it is posible to improve, "acquire the sound" so to speak.
As far as natural talent goes, this is my philosophy... it has ups and downs, but i believe more downs than ups. When relying on natural talent, sometimes it is hard to break the next level. you settle for "getting by" because you can get away with very little effort. Then you realize, "hey, i'm not getting anywhere, and I am way behind my colleagues." Then you have a problem.
If you aspire to be a tuba player, remember this... No one will ask you how you got where you are, because of natural talent or hard work and determination. Someone could have all the "natural talent" in the world and never touch the horn. How essential is the talent then? If you are on a solo stage or in an audition and are just playing like fire, no one will think of why. They will know you put in the time, regardless of the tactic you relied upon.
Bottom line, keep working! If you want it badly enough and are determined, you can get the results you want. Just trust those who instruct you and work your tail off. I know it is hard, but try not to get discouraged, everyone, including the very best of 'em, has strong points and less strong points in their aptitudes.
Best of luck!

Follow Ups: