Re: Re: BBb Tubas for a Middle School

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on April 21, 2001 at 17:08:59:

In Reply to: Re: BBb Tubas for a Middle School posted by Please Read on April 21, 2001 at 15:49:05:

Just f.y.i. (I stand by previously-given advice), there are two 3/4 King "clones" out there:

one is made by Blessing (U.S.A. with a German valveset)

and the other is sold by D.E.G. ("Shafer" brand) and made in Taiwan.

I think the Shafer is actually made better than the King (better piston and slide tolerances, yet just as sturdy), cheaper, and quicker to get.

The original posting person sort of expressed preferences towards LARGER (4/4) size tubas, but IF 3/4 size is OK, the Weril with 4 front-action pistons is impossible to beat at $1695.

"Please Read", if you are REALLY "sold" on the King 1160 and want another one, there is one in my storage room that I can straighten out, relacquer the "big" body parts, and sell to you for $1100. (Obviously, it would take a few weeks for the repairs to get done.) It has 3 brand new piston assemblies and a brand new main tuning slide. btw: King has NOW gone to plastic guides, too, so "order extra valve guides" for most ANY brand, now. Not a big Yama-fan here, but to their credit their latest generation of guides seems to be made of a much harder plastic.

Follow Ups: