Re: How good were you?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by *Lucky 21* on April 15, 2001 at 20:36:27:

In Reply to: How good were you? posted by Kevin on April 15, 2001 at 18:50:07:

Kevin,
I understand what you are asking, and I identify. However, please realize that you cannot gauge your present or future success on the what others are doing or have done. You sound like you have a very good head on your shoulders, and a lot of determination. You've chosen a good school, so be confident that your other choices will be wise as well. Don't worry about everyone else, you know where you are, and that's what counts.
Now, about "how good were you?" Personally, I made all-state in high school and several other honors bands, but I never had a real tuba teacher until very late in my career. So, now I am very far behind as a grad student, and those "honors" mean nothing now that there are people ten years younger than I wiping my face in my condensation puddles! However, I play catch-up every day, and one of these days I will be right where I should be. Never judge yourself as a player based upon what honors bands you were in, what solos you played at what age, etc. There are way too many variables here. Look at the present, at look ahead to the future. You sound as though you are definitely on the right track. But to answer your question, with hard work you will always improve. I am far from being a pro, but in my eighth year of school (after high school), I am finding that I am making more improvement now than ever. (Partially thanks to a great teacher, which you will definitely have!) So to make a long story short, it's up to you, but look ahead to great improvements in your playing with your teacher's help and your own committment. If you want a performance career, make up your mind to go after it and hit that practice room!
I do understand your want to compare yourself to other players. That's good to an extent, but just remember it's your own efforts and time that will land you in the place you want to be when you graduate!
Keep up the good work, and best of luck to you at UGA! Congrats!

Follow Ups: