How good were you?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on April 15, 2001 at 18:50:07:

Hey fellow tubists. I've been with this board for probably about a year or so now, and I have seen and heard how great all of you guys really are. First, you're willing to help everyone on here with their questions, troubles, and mental breakdowns with their playing. I'm a senior in high school about to graduate in about a month and move on to UGA where I'll continue my studying with David Zerkel. I am always amazed with his abilities to just pick up something I am working on, or that he has in his file o' music, and just play it like its nothing. I have also heard a lot of great tuba players such as Sam Pilafian and Patrick Sheridan who do some amazing things (my library of tuba CD's isn't that big, and I promise I'll get those CD's back to you DZ!!!). But, how good were you guys in say your high school years? Were you guys totally outstanding musicians, or did it seem to come through your years of college studying? Through high school, I've been in the top 2 chairs of all-state every year, and made a few other high accomplishments (I'm sorry if that just sounded conceited, I didn't make it out to be that way). I was just wondering if I have what it takes to play professionally, or if I should look into music education or something like that. I know it takes hours and hours of practice to really become a great player, I was just wondering where you guys stood around the age of 17 or 18. Thanks a lot, sorry for rambling on and on!!!

Follow Ups: