Re: Re: Re: Re: Easter Gig

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by FWIW on April 08, 2001 at 00:44:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Easter Gig posted by Joe Baker on April 07, 2001 at 23:55:53:

When I agreed to play 1 rehearsal and 1 gig for $500, that wasn't a price I solicited. It was offered to me UNSOLICITED and QUICKLY accepted. Do not assume that all the earnings listed here were a result of strong-arming the poor country pastor. Some churches here in the bible belt make an exhorbitant amount of money. Some church staffs can understand the value of having quality musicians for their program. As long as their orchestra members aren't onstage making sacrifices to heathen dieties or at the very least showing outward disgust towards the message, they understand. Do you think all the studio musicians you hear on your beloved inspirational cds are all card-carrying Christians? Does that make the music any less inspiring to you? Didn't think so.

Around this time of year, churches spread their feelers out, see what other churches are paying for their orchestra then adjust their offerings accordingly. They understand what it takes to get quality players on high-traffic dates. Church is a business, whether you like it or choose to believe it or not.

"Another thing to consider is that the people in the Church don't bring their offerings to hire entertainment (in most Churches)."

For crying out loud then, tell THEM to stop calling ME and offering ME $500 for 5 hrs of work.

Follow Ups: