Re: Re: Re: Easter Gig

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on April 07, 2001 at 23:55:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Easter Gig posted by Aubrey Foard on April 07, 2001 at 21:59:46:

Aubrey,
Thank you for your thoughtful E-Mail. I think that the free and congenial exchange of points of view is always a good thing.

Musicians have a tendency to think that their jobs both need and deserve protection. In the long run, I think this works to their detriment. Take for example this 'church gig' thing. You guys are all talking about how you are sticking it to the Churches that want to hire you, $500 for five hours work, that sort of thing. It's no wonder no one thinks they can afford to hire musicians. Musicians price themselves out of reach because, since you can only work ten hours a week you have to charge 4 times as much per hour. As long as there are people willing to pay that much, that's great, but don't be surprised when they look at the price tag and decide they just can't afford it.

Consider the restaurant business. There are all different levels of quality in restaurants, and all different prices, from the cheapest to the best. The Ritz costs much more than McDonald's, and people wait in line to pay it. You could even consider that the low quality at McDonald's provides a contrast that highlights the quality of the Ritz. The manager of the Ritz would certainly not be concerned because a McDonald's opens up down the street, and the pro musician shouldn't worry because the 2nd Baptist Jughead Band in playing at the churchhouse.

There's something else that you may not be taking into account. Because you are not a 'church person', you may not really understand that (most) people don't go to Church to be entertained. We go to worship God, to experience a relationship with him, and to have fellowship with other believers. The vast majority wouldn't know if a note was played right or wrong, and those who do know don't really care. Those kids playing those out of tune notes are the the kids whose diapers my wife changed in the nursery. They're the kids who I taught in Sunday School. Their parents brought food when my wife had surgery. They are my family. The quality of their playing is completely immaterial to what I would do if I were hosting a business reception and wanted a string quartet. They are McDonald's but when MY kids work at McDonald's, the arches get a special glow.

Another thing to consider is that the people in the Church don't bring their offerings to hire entertainment (in most Churches). We give to feed the hungry, minister to the hurting, and spread the Gospel. Protecting the music industry isn't something we are specifically concerned about, any more than music bookers are concerned with teaching the Bible.

Finally, and a point upon which you and I may just have to agree to disagree without being disagreeable, there is the matter of freedom. God doesn't belong to the Priests, food doesn't belong to the Chefs, and music doesn't belong to the professional. Anyone has a right to hire the person they want to hire, as long as the two parties can agree on the terms. There are situations -- and some Churches certainly consider Easter Sunday one such situation -- when paying the price of professionals is appropriate. But I believe ther are also situations when you just want something to sing along with.

In closing, I congratulate you (sincerely; no sarcasm) on finding someone with whom you were able to make a very profitable business deal, and I wish you and your parents every success in the music profession; but try to take the longer view about the role of amateurs in the world of music. Guys like me will never threaten the livelihood of pros, but we do spark an interest in instrumental music.

Oh, yeah, and a tip from a grey-bearded formerly-non-religious guy: listen up to the preacher while you're there. You won't regret it. Turns out that Jesus is the real deal, even if we 'church people' aren't what we ought to be all the time.

Peace,
Joe Baker

Follow Ups: