Re: Muscle problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on April 04, 2001 at 01:08:08:

In Reply to: Muscle problems posted by Concerned on April 03, 2001 at 23:33:15:

Have you discussed this with your prof./teacher?

With the recent change to a larger mpc., I suspect that you are dealing with having to train parts of your embouchure that haven't been much of a factor with the smaller mpc. The embouchure can be pretty finicky sometimes. The question about your teacher suggests that they can give you a far more objective opinion than you can form for yourself. If you have a weakness in your embouchure, it may have been concealed by the smaller mpc. Don't worry, I'm not implying that you'll have to learn a new set-up, but a seemingly very small adjustment can often bring dramatic change. But considered consultation with your teacher has to accompany any change.

Now that your embouchure is having to acclimate to a new set of parameters, ask your teacher to give you a "check-up" on your fundamentals: breathing, tone production, embouchure, every aspect of the things that go into playing the horn. If the check-up reveals nothing, then maybe it is time to get checked medically. But first I would rule out a problem with your playing of the basics of the horn.

An exercise that you might try: you mention that it is particulary vexing at lower dynamics, so play the problem notes as long tones at a volume which provides the sound you want. When you are sure that you are using a sufficient amount of air, start decrescendoing the long tones. Keep the sound consistent, just change the dynamic. You'll know very quickly if you start to back off of the air too much, because your pitch will start to drop, and the "wobbles" will likely return.

Fatigue may be playing a factor in that your embouchure is trying to accomodate a new, larger mpc. at the same time that it is being asked to tighten up for the pinhole of a trumpet mpc. You've got your chops doing some real gymnastics, especially if you're playing a lot. I would think that the rupture of a muscle would be unmistakable and quite painful.

That's what I would do, but I then I haven't been to Boston recently, either. ;^)

Steve "just got a check-up" Dedman

Follow Ups: