Re: Re: Re: Re: Nobody uses Monette tuba mouthpieces???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on April 25, 1999 at 13:09:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Nobody uses Monette tuba mouthpieces??? posted by Snake Oil! on April 25, 1999 at 09:42:23:

In all actuality his claims aren't wild, unique or revolutionary at all. The fact is, all great brass players strive to find the most efficient way to play their instrument. The more we realize that we *don't* have to move around and muscle every note into place the easier and more consistent playing becomes. Monette happens to have really great designs as well as manufacturing, that allows the player to play with a minimal amount of effort. The same exact principals occur in the tuba world sans the marketing hoopla. When an instrument plays easily in tune, responds easily and consistently thoughout the registers and has a good sound a person doesn't have to go through a lot of gymnastics to play it. The closest phrase we have in the tuba world is Perantucci's "The Right Response" slogan. In my very humble opinion, the mistake that Monette has made is buying into his own hype and believing that any one part of an instrument can make an instrument play better. There is no such thing as an 'in tune' lead pipe or a bell with a great sound. And mouthpieces don't slot notes.. musicians do. Of course, if you play on his equipment like he describes you will sound better and play easier. And if you still sound like crap then you *obviously* aren't doing something right. This is a self fulfilling prophecy. I'm not encouraging people do go through all the Monette literature and try to play like Wynton. Instead, as has been discussed before on this bbs, focus on the product and get out of your body's way. If you give it enough time(read: practice alot) it will find the most efficient method for you. Regarding Monette's line of tuba mouthpieces.. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying one.. they obviously work for someone.. but don't enter into it with the attitude that there is something magical taking place either.

Sorry for the lengthy, disjuncted nature of this diatribe,
joseph :)

Follow Ups: