Re: Re: colleges

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on April 19, 1999 at 14:23:36:

In Reply to: Re: colleges posted by anonymous on April 19, 1999 at 11:15:39:

For the most part I would agree with what you have stated. On the other hand, I have never met anyone who has worked VERY hard and done all the "right things" who has not been successful at some level. I have known many people who say they are working hard and are doing the "right things", but upon closer examination it becomes clearer that they were not focussing as much as they could have.

I have never heard anyone perform who got there because they "had what it takes". Granted, things seem to come easier to some than others, but I think a large part of that is because the individuals who do well just happen to practice more and have lined up with good people to guide them.

Have you ever heard someone state that they won an audition, but didn't really work that hard at it? Probably not.

I like the metaphor of the olympic athelete you cite. You are correct that not every dedicated athlete wins a medal at the Olympics, but I am yet to meet someone who works harder than a world champion athlete who doesn't also see the podium on occasion.

For a great commentary on this subject take a look at . Performance standards: how "good" is "good enough?" by Douglas Yeo.

sean

Follow Ups: