Re: colleges

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by anonymous on April 19, 1999 at 11:15:39:

In Reply to: colleges posted by Kevin K on April 15, 1999 at 18:08:51:

If you want to be an orchestral tubist, go for it, and don't get an Ed degree to fall back on. If you work hard you'll make it. Agreed?

Yeahbut-

Its not that simple. As harsh as it may sound, you can be the hardest worker, the most efficient practicer, have the best teacher, have a great understanding of the literature, have a wonderful musical ideal, but without a handful of raw talent, you'll never win a gig. If you don't have what it takes, you don't have what it takes, and no, I'm not a pessimist.

The best musicians and players win jobs, not the hardest working, and not the most dedicated. There are many people who have fooled themselves into thinking that "one of these times I'll score a gig...just keep working hard". There are many people who have bought all the right equipment, studied with all the right teachers, listened to all the right recordings, put in the right amount of time and effort, never got jack in auditions, and never will.

Teachers need students to make a living. Its not good business for them to tell gung-ho students that they're not in the calibre to be competitive. They would just lose students. Take hints. Figure it out for yourself. Be cautious. Take chances, if you'd rather. If you go for performance, GO FOR IT, but have plan B and C in the back of your mind, and don't go in blind. Set an alarm clock in the beck of your mind, one that says "if I'm not competitive in/winning festivals by age ___, or competitive in professional auditions by age ___, start looking at other routes, other degrees.

Not every hard working dedicated athlete makes it to the olympics.

Please refrain from scolding my choice to remain anonymous.

Follow Ups: