Re: Re: Re: Q&A for me in my weight los experiment

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 29, 2003 at 15:10:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Q&A for me in my weight los experiment posted by js on September 29, 2003 at 14:55:46:

Physician, heal thyself.

Surgery fixes the body, but it isn't always the body that is at fault. When I lost the weight, my life changed in dramatic but unexpected ways, and I could not longer use a large profile as an excuse for the limitations I had felt before that time. It took me quite a while to look at myself and see a thin person rather than a fat person. Seeing yourself as you really are is truly important throughout this process.

On the other hand, sometimes it is the body that is at fault. Surgery is anything but a quick fix, but often nothing else works.

In my case, weighing under 200 pounds is within my ability, but it requires 15 hours of endurance training a week. Break that down into individual workouts to realize just how much that is. My tuba playing suffered during that time because I had no time to practice, and could not commit to groups that rehearsed weekly. Things are more balanced now, even though I still feel a bit of longing when I read race reports from friends finishing events that I once participated in myself. You have to live for the training just as a real musician has to truly enjoy long tones and scales.

Rick "who passed 200 pounds in the 8th grade, and who dipped below that only twice since" Denney

Follow Ups: