Re: What model king souaphone is it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob P-M on September 29, 2003 at 07:21:13:

In Reply to: What model king souaphone is it? posted by Eric Bamberg on September 27, 2003 at 23:47:43:

Hmm. I'm not certain when King standardized the 1250 design, but it was standardized by 1931, which is the earliest King literature I have.

The bell size, while unusual, is not unknown: there was a great deal of flux in sousaphone bell sizes before the 1930s. Early bell front BBb sousaphones (and most raincatchers) had the 22" bells that one found on most BBb helicons, but by the mid-1920's 24" bells were shown as standard (at least in Conn catalogs, which I think can be taken as the pace-setter in sousaphone design, certainly in sales), with other sizes available by order. 28" bells were sometimes listed as available, and were standard on Conn Jumbos and King Giants. 30" bells were not unknown, but rare -- I think there is a picture of a huge Conn Jumbo with a 30" bell in a TUBA Journal article some years back.

Interestingly, the wrap on the King Giant (1270/1271) looks more like the wrap you described, but the bore is .750 and the bell collar is bigger.

Follow Ups: