Re: Re: Brass Band Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lothian Hamilton on September 23, 2003 at 22:11:32:

In Reply to: Re: Brass Band Music posted by Steve Marcus on September 23, 2003 at 08:00:09:

I'm going to add to Steve's excellent suggestion and mention another early original piece for brass band - Holst's "Moorside Suite". Lovely stuff.

Someone has already mentioned Ireland's "Downland Suite", and I'll second that one as well. The slow movement "Elegy" still gets played a fair amount, but the rest of the suite seems to fallen out of favor.

If you haven't already, you might look into some brass band recordings. Two pretty good sources are 4BarsRest (www.4barsrest.com) and Midland CD Club (www.midland-cd-club.co.uk). Bernel Music here in the US also has a good selection. For what it's worth, two of my favorite brass band recordings are both by the Grimethorpe Colliery Band: "Paganini Variations" and "The Melody Shop". Both cover a wide range of music and are *very* well played.

Also, check out the show Listen to the Band on BBC Radio 2, available online. It airs every Friday at 9:30 PM GMT (3:30 PM here in Chicago), and is archived for online listening for a week until the next show airs. To hear last Friday's show, go to www.bbc.co.uk/radio2 and click on "Listen Again", then select Listen to the Band from the list of shows.

Best wishes.

-Lothian

Lothian Hamilton
EEb Bass, Webmaster
Prairie Brass Band
www.prairiebrass.org
U.S. Open Brass Band Championships
www.prairiebrass.org/usopen

Follow Ups: