The Joy of Playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Horsch on September 23, 2003 at 12:41:24:

The community orchestra I, a sexagenarian rank amateur, play with is tackling the Brahms second symphony this fall. It's a little over our collective heads, but doing that kind of thing seems to bring out the best in us. The conductor has modified the tuba part to pick up a little of the third trombone and third horn, neither of which we have. That works for me, except that the revised copy has no cues, and that does not help with my biggest challenge: not getting lost. I have heard the work a thousand times, but it is very complex (for me), with alot of different things going on at the same time. If I get lost, I tend to stay lost. I have renewed respect for the pros who can not only play anything, but who can count without appearing to be intense and without their lips or fingers moving. And who can play without tapping their toes. In the syncopated passage at the end of the fourth movement, I found myself not only tapping a toe, but actually lifting my right foot up and down. I was marching to know where the beat was. But, I am having a ball and wouldn't miss the opportunity for the world. And when we play it, I am confident I will look appropriately calm and laid back, and will sound just fine.

Follow Ups: