Re: Yamaha is making a marching Euph

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on September 22, 2003 at 15:25:55:

In Reply to: Yamaha is making a marching Euph posted by Peter on September 21, 2003 at 21:06:22:

I wouldn't say Yamaha uses Div I guinea pig hornlines to test their equipment. The new tuba that Yamaha fielded this summer, used by the Cadets, Cavies, and the Crossmen, was just a prototype. When I met with Kurt Witt, Yamaha's Product Manager for wind instruments, this last year at TMEA, we discussed a few modifications to the prototype he brought with him from the factory. The horns we used this summer were a bit different from the prototype at TMEA (wider leadpipe, different placement of thumb ring). Yamaha is still considering making a few more alterations to the horn before it goes into mass production. This summer I talked to Dino about the horn. He helped design the horn so he was interested in hearing my opinion of the horn after my guys had field-tested it.

I'm sure that as soon as Yamaha has a suitable prototype for the new marching euph, we'll see it out on the field with the Cavies and both YEA corps.

The Cavies, as well as YEA, sell off their Yamaha's every year or every couple of years. We buy the horns from Yamaha, use them for a season or two, resell them to bands, other corps, or individuals, and buy new horns. This keeps new horns in the hands of our players. Gone are the days of our horns seeing 15 seasons before they get retired.

Bell-front, trumpet shaped marching euphs aren't necessarily better than traditional bell-front concert euphs. Visually, I find them more appealing because they resemble the trumpets and mellos. Horn visuals are easier with trumpet style euphs. Plus, it takes a hoss to carry one of those things. With that being said, they aren't for everyone. Some 15 year old kids can't handle holding a 10 pound horn out there. Then again, I've seen some pretty small girls hold up marching euphs like it was nothing, while next to them were huge guys that were slouching and shaking from holding the weight.

Mike
-Crossmen brass staff

Follow Ups: