Re: DownState Butcher Shows Off His Chops

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Incopero on September 22, 2003 at 12:17:56:

In Reply to: DownState Butcher Shows Off His Chops posted by Chewie on September 22, 2003 at 10:33:33:

The music was great and Red Lehr is one heck of a jazz player. It's a shame the word doesn't get out to the local high school jazz programs so that they could have sent their students to see and hear excellent jazz improvisation and the ability to play by ear. The man may not read music, but he doesn't need to in order to make great music.

The crowd was really really old - I think the average age was something north of 80 - it sure would be nice to see more younger people at gigs like this, because this music is just too good to just fade away. The only "young" folks I saw (under 50) were tuba players. The old folks really got into the music and didn't miss a chance to get up and dance. The folks selling Cds said they have never sold so many CDs at a concert as they did yesterday to all those old folks.

Thanks Brian Frederickson for passing Gene's email along. I was really glad to get the chance to see a live performance of this group.

Mike Incopero

Follow Ups: