Re: Consider This.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Palmer on September 22, 2003 at 10:14:30:

In Reply to: Consider This. posted by re: College Finances on September 21, 2003 at 21:38:01:

Don't agree. Especially in the contemporary financial era. There are plenty of talented individuals with every chance of making it. The shortage falls on the university side. There are plenty of good departments/Schools of Music just not enough money. It's been my experience that most have 1 or 2 big scholarships and spread the rest around here and there, a couple hundred per year as a scholarship/talent award. The big $$$ ones are normally department wide, although some instrument/area ones are out there. Departmental funds are also often channeled into support for out of state sutdents also. This is normally for only 1 year as that is the time it normally take to establish residency. I was exteremely lucky to recieve outside scholarships to supplement the $250.00 annual talent award I, and a few others, received from my undergrad School of Music. $250.00 (+/-) was all the department basically could afford at the time. The department also allowed instructional and assistant opportunities to supplement this in the form of temporary work, as opposed to work study. There are exceptions.

The moral of this story:
Do not base (your) worth (as a musician)on what is paid(scholarships).

"As the wind blows, so do the clarinets."
Dave

Follow Ups: