Re: Re: scanning music into Finale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on September 19, 2003 at 17:20:02:

In Reply to: Re: scanning music into Finale posted by FINALE on September 19, 2003 at 16:30:36:

Everyone is entitled to his or her own apinion (although preferably expressed in a more restrained fashion)

However, the sad truth is that whether Sibelius or Finale or anything else, the story usually unfolds about the same way. The major culprit turns out to be the recognition engine itself.

I think there are some features of Sibelius and Finale that lead to somewhat different manifestations of the problem, and there are also aspects that make particular problems more or less easily repaired, or more or less troublesome.

Sibelius's insistence on preserving strict measure time values causes a lot of problems if the recognition engine thinks a couple of eighth notes are really quarter notes because you won't get the chance to fix it in Sibelius by simply editing the notes back to eighths - it will already have thrown away the "extra" notes.

Some lower-end packages could care less about preserving tempo integrity and are happy to tolerate 9 quarter notes in a 4/4 measure. This is actually what you want when scanning as it lets you use your main music editing package to fix these kinds of note recognition errors in the scan.

I think there are ways to avoid this particular problem in Sibelius, but I haven't found them yet.

If you know what they are, could you enlighten us?

Follow Ups: