Re: Mute use

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LV on September 18, 2003 at 18:52:27:

In Reply to: Mute use posted by Mary Ann on September 18, 2003 at 09:25:42:

Hi Mary Ann!

A couple of suggestions:

Most hardware stores have self adhesive felt for putting under things to prevent scratching furniture. It works well on the open end of a mute around the outside as a "ding" and noise preventer. Kinda like what JS suggested only thinner. I have a roll of automotive "squeak and rattle" flock tape that I have used.

An extra music stand with the desk horizontal and a towel on it next to you is a good place to lay a mute on. Easy reach, etc. But, depending on how tall the mute is, etc......

You could also use a 5 gallon bucket (preferably black or painted black) like you might find at a janitorial supply house or find at a Costco or Sam club, etc. filled with laundry soap as a "mute bucket". You would set the mute in the bucket with the handle at the top. You can also put a barbell weight or something in the bucket to prevent tipping. This sounds goofy, but it works well. Most major orchestras have some sort of mute/horn holding device or furniture for some or all of the brass section. I know the Detroit Symphony has wooden mute holders for some of the the brass (I think made by Oscar Lagasse way back when), so you'd be in good company.

FWIW

LV

Follow Ups: