Re: Re: Charges for flying with a tuba??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubadad on September 16, 2003 at 10:50:24:

In Reply to: Re: Charges for flying with a tuba?? posted by Kenneth Sloan on September 16, 2003 at 10:08:14:

I think you are correct that airlines charging for too many or overweight bags is on the increase by all airlines, not just the discounters. Airlines are experimenting with charging for meals on domestic flights, a service once included in the price of the ticket. They are looking for revenue anywhere they can find it, and I really cannot blame them for it.

I don't mind the practice of airlines charging extra for carrying the tuba, I just don't like the uncertainty of how much it will cost, and more importantly I downright fear the situation of arriving at the airport only to find out that they will not carry the tuba at any price - now the latter has never happened to us, and I don't expect that it will because the tuba in the WJ case weighs around 55 pounds, just over the "free" threshhold but nowhere near the max allowable. But when measured by LWH, if an airline were to take a closer look at it, I think we could be in trouble. I have not heard of this happening to anyone else, but I don't doubt that it is possible that it will happen.

Anecdotes on LWH, anyone? Has anyone ever been refused transport because of weight and size issues?

Follow Ups: