Re: Mike Finn Mouthpieces?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on September 14, 2003 at 09:10:22:

In Reply to: Mike Finn Mouthpieces? posted by student on September 13, 2003 at 18:44:18:

I think they are terrific mouthpieces. I bought a MF3 to darken up my sound on a Mirafone 186, which it did nicely. I now use it on my PT6, too. However, in my studio I gave everyone a chance to try the entire Mike Finn line and they each had different results. Out of 8 students(all playing Yamaha rotary tubas) 3 had a noticably better sound on mike finn Mouthpieces (2 on the MF1, 1 on the MF3). 3 of them had better results on Perantucci mouthpieces. The other 2 gained little to no improvement over their standard Conn Hellebergs on either the Finns or the Perantuccis.

Please note: a mouthpiece may feel and sound great in the short term, but over time the differences are often negligible. Also note, I was simply giving the students about 15 minutes to try several mouthpieces. It was by no means "scientific" in that I didn't try to control all the variables that go into mouthpiece selection.

By giving my students this opportunity to try different mouthpieces I was reminded that what works for one person won't always work for someone else.

Follow Ups: